Thursday, August 25, 2011

Prince Georg Friedrich - a profile

Prince Georg Friedrich of Prussia was born at Bremen on June 10, 1976.  His parents, Prince Louis Ferdinand of Prussia, third son of Prince Louis Ferdinand of Prussia and Grand Duchess Kira of Russia, and Countess Donata of Castell-Rüdenhausen, were married in May 1975 and settled into a comfortable home in Fischerhude near Bremen, where the young Prince Georg Friedrich was raised.

Princess Donata was widowed in July 1977.  She was pregnant with the couple's second child.  A daughter, Princess Cornelie-Cecilie, was born posthumously in January 1978.

Prince Georg Friedrich attended schools in Bremen and Oldenburg before he was sent to a boarding school, Glenalmond College, near Aberdeen.   He did his military service in Bavaria.   In a television interview, the prince spoke of his military service.  "It was very relaxed there. The only usual unusual thing for me was the name von Preussen on my uniform."

Georg Friedrich was only 18 when he succeeded his grandfather as head of the house.  In 2004, he told a Potsdam reporter: "Many ask me if my grandfather was a father figure to me.  I don't think so.  I have always seen him as my grandfather.  He did a lot with me.  Playing the piano, horseback riding, he was always there for me."

The Prince announced his engagement to Princess Sophie of Isenburg in January.  Since then, the young couple have moved into the limelight. There is a curiosity, even in Germany, about the romance between the current Emperor of Germany and a beautiful princess.

Friends of the prince describe him as "very nice, but publicity-shy and discreet."  Prince Georg Friedrich's goal, as head of the family, is to try to "keep the family together."  He is a modern Prussian, and does not seek a return of the monarchy.

Georg Friedrich's first cousin, Duchess Rixa of Oldenburg, 40, said recently:  "I am so happy for him.  Sophie is just right.  The two are perfect for each other."

No comments: