Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Earthquake 5.8 here in VA





The epicenter was in Mineral, Virginia ... 5.8 on the Richter scale ... A whole lot of shaking.  I was at my desk helping a student when I felt rumbling underneath my feet.  I knew it was not Metro. I shouted earthquake  ... doorway and pushed students toward the doorway, where we huddled together for about ten minutes before I made the decision to send everyone outside.

 Books stayed on the shelves, apart from the one that hit me on the head as I ran out ... and we lost the chimney on one of our buildings!   Classes were canceled, and we were sent home.  A few items fell off shelves at home and broke, but no real damage.

5 comments:

Leslie said...

Marlene, are you nearby? I'm in Richmond and it was quite strong and of long duration here. Glad you're okay!

Marlene Eilers Koenig said...

Alexandria - some damage to one of our buildings. Classes have been cancelled.

John said...

Can I assume any of those titles on your shelves have the Marlene seal of approval?

Marlene Eilers Koenig said...

Yes, indeed

k said...

Glad you're ok. Are the pictures of your work or your home?