Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Carol to see his son

July 7, 1929

Arrangements are being made for former Crown Prince Carol of Roumania to spend time with his young son, King Michael. The Associated Press reports that Carol, who lives in Paris, will be traveling to Bled, Yugoslavia, where his estranged wife, Helen, and seven-year-old Michael are awaiting him. Carol's mother, Queen Marie, is also at the palace in Bled, where Carol's sister, Queen Marie of Yugoslavia, recently gave birth to a third son.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember that in March 1991, I read a biography of Queen Marie of Roumania. I remember that it was very sympathetic to her and her daughter in law Helen and grandson Michael. It was also very sympathetic to Carol's sisters Marie and Ileana, less so to his sister Elisabeth (but she probably had her own story to tell). I think that was the case.

I was recovering from a major illness at the time, and it was so long ago. In retrospect. I think that Princess Ileana probably died during the period of of my recovery from this life threatening illness. while I read her mother's biography.

Isn't it wonderful to be able to get library books, when seriously ill?

I think that the observations of King Carol were fairly neutral. I know that there was signivifcant if minor, correspondence mentioned between Queen Mary of Great Britain and Queen Marie regarding the actions of their eldest sons at the same time, but of course, I could be wrong.

Prince Michael as King Michael is still with us. I know very little of him, except that he and his wife Queen Anne seem to be very happily married.

Their five daughters all seem to lead and live very fulfilling lives.